[E-voting] Compulsory voting

Ita Ryan ita_ryan at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 09:49:46 IST 2005

Michael McMahon:
> I've said this before, but IMHO voters should in the
> future, be able to vote from any polling station
> in the country so long as they can prove their
> identity. It's not practical though with
> paper ballot based systems, (unlike electronic
> receipt based systems).

It might be practical if the voters' details were
stored electronically over a network.  It would be
impossible to vote twice.  Nothing to stop this
co-existing with paper ballots, but it might be open
to abuse.

Don't think it would work with PR-STV though - how
would they know how many seats to have in each
constituency, if they didn't know how many voters
there'd be?