[E-voting] Compulsory voting

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Fri Sep 9 10:23:05 IST 2005

Ita Ryan wrote:
> Michael McMahon:
>
>>I've said this before, but IMHO voters should in the
>>future, be able to vote from any polling station
>>in the country so long as they can prove their
>>identity. It's not practical though with
>>paper ballot based systems, (unlike electronic
>>receipt based systems).
>

> It might be practical if the voters' details were
> stored electronically over a network.  It would be
> impossible to vote twice.  Nothing to stop this
> co-existing with paper ballots, but it might be open
> to abuse.

I think it is impractical today (in a manual system)
because ballots would have to shipped around the country
to their count centres. The same would apply with electronic
systems with VVPB (the paper ballots would still have to be shipped
to their "home" count centre to be audited).

It would be easier with electronic systems that only
provide a paper receipt, because there are no paper ballots involved.
It is obviously much easier to move electronic votes from one
constituency to another, than paper ballots. Of course, in this scenario it becomes
all the more important for people to be able to verify that their vote
made it into the count.

> Don't think it would work with PR-STV though - how
> would they know how many seats to have in each
> constituency, if they didn't know how many voters
> there'd be?

PR-STV requires centralised counting. That's why the
ballots (or electronic votes) have to transported
to their home count centre. Each polling station
would need the list of candidates from every other
race in the country though, and also the complete voter
registration list

Michael.