[E-voting] The right to vote. Was: UK shelves plans for e-voting trials

Brian O'Byrne bobyrne at statesoft.ie
Fri Sep 9 12:33:24 IST 2005

On Friday 09 September 2005 07:45, Craig Burton wrote:
> Brian,
> My point is that some form of remote voting must be provided :
> whether it improves turnout or not is irrelevant.  Eligible voters
> have a legal right to vote and it can't be prohibitively difficult.

Craig,

One more assertion I'll make on this, since you mention the right to
vote:

The right to vote does not end when the voter casts their vote. The
right to vote includes the right to have the vote counted accurately
and fairly.
Thus introducing a channel that is prone to error or fraud is in fact
infringing on the right to vote, not facilitating it.
Worse, it is infringing on everyone's right to vote, not just the
people that use the new channel, since the election as a whole is
made less accurate.

Brian.
--
Brian O'Byrne, Statesoft Ltd.