[E-voting] Compulsory voting

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Sep 10 13:43:57 IST 2005

On Fri 09 Sep 2005 19:57, David GLAUDE wrote:

> I think the argument of fighting random bug (cosmic ray alike) is much
> stronger than fighting fraud in the black box.

This seems to me completely mistaken.
Even if this cosmic ray stuff is not complete bunkum - as I believe -
it would be a random effect which would affect only one or two votes,
and would thus be much like the counting errors that must occur now
(since re-counts usually give slightly different results).

> One interesting PR might be to send a fake anonymous letter to
> politician offering them to help them be elected (and win the election)
> inexchange for money.

I imagine this would be highly illegal - either extortion or fraud.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366