[E-voting] Compulsory voting

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Sep 10 23:47:51 IST 2005

On Sat 10 Sep 2005 23:22, Craig Burton wrote:

> I work as an electoral returning officer in private or union elections.
> I have received phone calls asking me how much I charge to throw the
> election.  It is usually one of the political parties.

This strikes me as an incredibly stupid -
almost unbelievably stupid - thing to do.
You might perfectly well be recording the conversation.
(I think this if often done automatically with VoIP systems.)

Fraud in elections is quite a serious offence.
I knew a case in the UK where a doctor got a 2-year sentence
for sending in a postal vote in his daughter's name.
(The daughter reported him.)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366