[E-voting] Compulsory voting

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Sun Sep 11 11:25:22 IST 2005

On 9/11/05, Ciaran Quinn <election at polarbears.com> wrote:

> Fergal Daly wrote:

> > 1 Errors in counting paper votes are almost always on the order of
> > single votes and even when multiple errors occur they are very
> > unlikely to accumulate in one particular direction. The "distance"
> > between humand counted votes and actually cast votes is at most equal
> > to the number of errors but is likely to be smaller.
>
> There was an error discovered in one of the Fermanagh-South Tyrone
> elections in the 80's in which 1000 Nationalist votes had been counted
> for the Unionist candidate

I don't think that contradicts what I'm saying. To achieve that 1000 vote
error required 1000 errors. Of course, if it happened because they were
dealing with bundles of 1000 and 1 of the bundles was misassigned then it
was just 1 error. However at the bundles of 1000 stage, you can afford to
recheck many times.

The point is that for the 999 out of every 1000 steps in the manual process
the maximum error that can be introduced is 1, whereas on a computer, an
arbirarily large error can be introduced at every single step.