[E-voting] UK shelves plans for e-voting trials

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Sun Sep 11 12:34:10 IST 2005

Craig Burton wrote:

> The most likely REV users will be Internet users (79% of French
> Internet users would vote online, for example), not just computer
> users.  The demographics for Internet use are not predominantly men of
> 40-60.  Unlike postal voting where the head of the house can merely
> collect the postal vote and vote it, REV can use strong authentication
> tied to an ID card (as in Estonia).

That's not really the point. It doesn't matter how strong the
authentication technology is,
if someone is looking over your shoulder when you enter your vote.

> And you can vote more than once - a coercer would have to act at the
> last possible minute or otherwise confine you from visiting any
> Internet terminal anywhere in the country.

That's a fair point, which is often overlooked. While it does mitigate
the coercion risks to some extent, you have to
acknowledge that it is still *less secret* than traditional secret
ballots in a polling booth.
There is also still a risk of candidates, heads of household etc.
hoovering up votes from people who
couldnt be bothered to go and change their vote somewhere else.

I don't see the point in reducing the secrecy value of elections until
all other
reasonable methods for facilitating voters have been done.

Michael