[E-voting] UK shelves plans for e-voting trials

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Sun Sep 11 15:06:55 IST 2005

On Saturday, September 10, 2005 6:23 PM [EDT],
Craig Burton <caburt at alphalink.com.au> wrote:

>> Brian,
>>
>> Thank you for this metered argument.  This post is getting pretty
>> long but I think illustrations help.
>>
>>> So your assertions that remote voting must be provided and that
>> improving turnout is irrelevant simply don't stack up against the
>> goal of an election.
>>

>> Perhaps I don't convey the urgency of my opening idea well enough.
>> The gov't has to make voting available to all eligible voters.  It
>> doesn't have to be easy, but it has to be possible.  If voters can
>> attend a polling station, they should.  If they can't, it's not
>> their fault voting is impossible, the gov't has to provide other
>> channels.  If the new channels are weaker than attendance voting
>> then we have to try to estimate the increased side effects and
>> adjust our margin of error appropriately.

I think you should bear in mind that the primary focus of this list is the
situation in Ireland, where the Constitution explicitly says that "all
citizens" are entitled to vote, but where the not insubstantial number of
Irish citizens who don't live in Ireland are explicitly excluded from
registering to vote by the laws that supposedly enact the principles layed
out in the constitution.

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of that issue, it certainly
demonstrates that no Irish Government will be under any legal, never mind
moral compunction, to introduce remote voting of any kind, purely for the
convenience of the voters.

Aengus