[E-voting] UK shelves plans for e-voting trials

Craig Burton caburt at alphalink.com.au
Mon Sep 12 02:39:42 IST 2005

If the government apparently legislates to not support expats, that's a
pity.  In other countries this is being hotly debated; there has been
some news about Ghana allowing its expats to vote since they contribute
so much money to its economy.  Obviously it's not a direct comparison
for lots of reasons, one of the key ones being that in new democracies
(such as Ghana, E.Europe) voters behave differently and seem to want to
participate more.

I'm sure postal remote voting enfranchises many living _within_ Ireland
who can't attend polls.  Compare the current situation to the census :
it doesn't matter who is staying with you nor how far they are from
their constituency, they get to submit a private, sensitive, anonymous
document via hand-collection, to the gov't.  OTOH if you aren't at home
or can't get your postal ballot from your postbox, you can't vote.  I
don't know if you have an out-of-constituency facility at polling
stations in Ireland, this would help.  I still think convenience is an
over generalisation.