[E-voting] UK shelves plans for e-voting trials

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Mon Sep 12 04:24:45 IST 2005

1 Since Ireland allows citizenship to those whose grandparents were
born in the country (and to the children of those who have claimed
citizenship under this rule) and since we have a considerable
emigrant population, stretching back 150 years, to allow voting
rights to those not currently residing in the country would have the
potential to considerably skew electoral results. Consider, for
example, our various referenda on abortion and divorce. The Irish
population has become more secular over time, to the extent that
divorce has been legalized and certain strict restrictions related to
abortion have not been enabled (ban on travel, etc.). However, the
Irish-American population, especially those who most identify with
the country, have not necessarily changed their world-view at the
same rate. Considering that this population potentially far exceeds
the current population of the country, it is very conceivable that
the emigrant population could, if voting, have  far-reaching
consequences on the results of elections and referendums. [Due to a
lack of data on my part I will merely speculate that emigrant
populations skew towards older, larger parties, against newer and
smaller parties.]

2 In Ireland postal voting is very tightly restricted. Members of the
Diplomatic corps and their families; Gardai and members of the
defense forces; students studying at recognised third-level
institutions _within_ the country; electors living at home who are
unable to vote at a polling station due to a physical illness or
disability. A person employed by a returning officer on polling day
in a constituency other than where they are registered to vote may
apply for entry on the supplement to the postal voters list. Postal
voting is also available to electors whose occupations are likely to
prevent them from voting at their local polling station. [amended
from http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/
0/7b0f5af65995bd3980256f0f003bc80e/$FILE/Referendum%20leaflet%20-%
20June%202005.pdf - what a title!]