[E-voting] UK shelves plans for e-voting trials

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Mon Sep 12 12:26:45 IST 2005

On Sunday, September 11, 2005 11:24 PM [EDT],
Andrew Ó Baoill <andrew at funferal.org> wrote:

> 1 Since Ireland allows citizenship to those whose grandparents were
> born in the country (and to the children of those who have claimed
> citizenship under this rule) and since we have a considerable
> emigrant population, stretching back 150 years, to allow voting
> rights to those not currently residing in the country would have the
> potential to considerably skew electoral results.

As I said, this list isn't really the place to debate the rights and wrongs
of this particular issue. The point I was making is that we've successfully
ignored the text of Bunreacht na hÉireann on this fairly basic issue for
over 60 years - so arguments about governments doing the right thing on
implementing voting rights should be taken with a grain of salt.

Aengus