[E-voting] "Provisional Ballots" {subj. was: Compulsory voting}

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Mon Sep 12 20:37:52 IST 2005

It should be possible for us to concoct a provisional ballot system that
could be used from within any location in Ireland.  Just imagine a piece
of paper with a bunch of blanks.  The person could fill in the name of
the Constituency or Local/European election Area at the top.  Then there
could be blanks to write in the names the person wanted to rank, with
boxes on the side for them to indicate their rank.  It would put
responsibility on the voter to know what the candidate options were for
their area (or maybe there could be a separate PC or 2 onsite that
voters could use to get this info off a national website or CD).   There
could be extra ID and address proof required, which would have to be
vouched for by both poll workers.

Then the only complication would be secure transport of these non-local
ballots to their correct counting centre and confirmation that the voter
is registered to vote.  There'd have to be immaculate tracking of the
no. of ballots going out of each polling place, and where they were
going to, and same on the receiving side.

It would be a bit of administrative hassle but on the other hand it
would mean that anyone could vote from anywhere in the country.  Since
we don't usually have two many elections or referenda at the same time
this shouldn't be too difficult.

Catherine