[E-voting] public transportation fares reduced on voting day

David GLAUDE dglaude at poureva.be
Wed Sep 28 00:10:34 IST 2005

vote at electronic-vote.org wrote:
> Up to a few years ago in Italy we had reduced fares for public
> transportation for people going to / returning from voting.

It might be free in Belgium (or at least a very decent price)... I never
used the feature so I don't know.

> Every election we were sent home an Electoral Certficate stating in
> which polling station we are allowed to vote (usually the place where we
> have our official residence).

Same.

> Unfortunately nowadays the State does'nt do this any more!

Shame...

> We still have the legal right to be absent from work if we are choosen
> as polling stations workers.

Here, only civil servant have that right to be "late" the day after.
I don't remember anything for "private worker".

> Infact local administrations randomly
> choose polling workers among all voting citizen, and such work is
> compulsory and it is paid by the State (120 euro for each simple worker
> and about 200 for each President).

I think I receaved 18 Euro because it was an eVoting place with
"extended hours". Paper voting should be arround 14 Euro... lucky you,
for 120 euro less citizen will try to avoid doing the mandatory work.

> We usually vote on Sunday and the Monday after.

Everything is done on the Sunday morning (where morning is extended by 3
 hours for eVoting due to the queueing it produce).

> People interested in our electoral PAPER preocedure (which I think are
> still one of the best worlwide) can have a look at
>           http://www.electronic-voting.org/TERMINI/italians_en.php

Sound very similare to our system in the principle.

David GLAUDE