[E-voting] public transportation fares reduced on voting day

David GLAUDE dglaude at poureva.be
Wed Sep 28 00:26:46 IST 2005

Yes we do an almost random thing in Belgium.

Each "voting place president" receave a list of citizen in the area
filtered/sorted by some criteria:
* Age above 30 (so all your college friend start to be selected at the
same time as you)
* Educated (with a priority system based on school level and job I
believe). It might be something like: teacher, civil servant, ... will
be more likely to be on the list.

Practicaly a lot a citizen seems to try to avoid doing the job (maybe
with an increase in the salary it would help a bit) even if it is
mandatory and you can get high fine if you avoid for no good reason. So
the president do select twice more as needed and can take the first
elector to reach it's number of poll worker (that's why many try to
avoid comming too early at the polling place! so you get queueing
later!!!). Sometime you wake up early to find out that you were a
backup... sometime the citizen present do choose who can go home and who
is happy to stay and work.

(did I mention you frequently get a sandwich and something to drink?)

Where the "random" fail is that the president can choose all his friends
to do the job with him... where it could be political friends outside
the establish list. This can take place in small village but less likely
in town.

Also once you accepted and did the job well... you are likely to be
re-selected. The reason is that the president know he can count on you
and will not have to seek last minute backup. So you might end up every
election year to be selected.

With paper counting it is rather important to have at least a few
skilled poll worker that know the best way to count/sort/avoide fraud!!

There is a law proposal to have a positive list of peaple that want to
do it... I think there is another proposition where candidate of local
election (there are many list in each location with only a small
percentage really elected) have to be selected first to show to the
citizen that those "politician" do the job too... but I believe those
option (like the professionnal returning officer) are too dangerous and
any "random" think is better.

David GLAUDE