[E-voting] Joe on Eamon Dunphy on NewsTalk 106 at 7:05

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Fri Apr 28 17:24:34 IST 2006

On Friday, April 28, 2006 10:10 AM [EDT],
Colm MacCarthaigh <colm at stdlib.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 09:52:48AM -0400, Aengus Lawlor wrote:
>> This was covered on Morning Ireland this morning as well, with FFs
>> Sean Fleming, a member of the PAC, disputing the suggestion that the
>> PAC recommended the scrapping of the system, insisting that "a
>> million people have used these voting machines" (!!!!!), that there
>> were no problems in the 8 (!!) constituencies that used them in
>> pilots
>
> I wonder, is some means by which we can notify Fianna Fáil that they
> appear to have an above average delusional lunatic on their hands?
> Those are simply staggering mis-assertions.
>
> All the same. It proves we've won. If they can't even be bothered to
> maintain an active briefing portfolio on the subject, it shows that
> they've really lost any interest in it.
>
> The risk of the system ever being used now is essentially zero, and I
> don't think any credible observer - political or otherwise - could
> suggest otherwise. For the last 2 years (to the day on Sunday) all
> that's been happening is that Martin Cullen and Dick Roche have been
> spending public money to delay the inevitable, and the consequences it
> will have for their own political capital.

Actually, the truely scarey thing is that Fleming actually left me with the
impression that he has a better understanding of the issue than might be
believed given the "little details" that he got  wrong. He believes that FF
made the right technical decision, and that they were beaten on the
politics, and that the only lessons for FF in this issue are political
lessons. He honestly believes that the opposition to Nedap/Powervote is
purely political, opposition for the sake of opposition. He seems blind to
the fact FF are the only party whose stance on the specific issue of these
machines is purely political.

While he insists that any future progress on the issue of changes to the
voting system must have cross party support, he doesn't seem to accept that
FF are the main barriers to this, because FF refuses to accept that mistakes
were made, and therefore it can't learn from the mistakes. On the basis of
this mornings interview, he doesn't seem to accept that people outside the
party political system have legitimate concerns, and valuable input to make
on any future changes to  be made to the system.

I still believe that FF will claim complete vindication, and will try to
blame the waste of tax payers money on Enda Kenny and Pat Rabbitte, unless
the CEV report is an unequivocal technical condemnation of the
Nedap/Powervote system. The key point for FF is to get just enough out of
the CEV report to be able to spin the issue as one of the opposition playing
politics  with the electoral system. The irony is that the the opposition
tactic of focussing on the "soft" option of jibes about money and
mismanagement, rather than focussing attention on the "hard" technical
issues and the deliberate campaign of disinformation by the Government is
actually laying the ground for this escape route for FF.

Aengus