[E-voting] Joe on RTE Five Seven Live after 6:00pm news

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Sat Apr 29 14:43:13 IST 2006

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 09:10:24AM -0400, Aengus Lawlor wrote:
> They also had a clip from Michael McDowell from last week, saying that the
> issue might have to be reconsidered
> (http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/228-2136289.smil) and from Michael Noonan, saying
> that there's no point in waiting any longer, tehy're not ginng to be used,
> so we should scrap them now, rather than spending any more money storing and
> insuring them than necessary. He also suggests that it might be possible to
> sell them to some American states, though it would be a bit of a hardr sell,
> I'd imagine! http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/228-2136288.smil

This issue is running and running, someone wants it to be news. More to
the point the complete abandonment of the system is at this point an
accepted fact, and they've softened the ground for it and are practising
their lines.

All of the speculation is that the CEVs next report will be within the
next 5 weeks.

Minister Dermot Ahern revealed this afternoon on Saturday View that
there have been a number of Cabinet-level discussions on the formation
of an independent electoral commission, to take everything to do with
elections out of the hands of politicians. He said they hadn't reached a
conclusion yet, but that that he was personally in favour. Though he did
frame this as something that would have prevented the opposition from
politicising the Government's honourable attempts to modernise
elections.

So we can bet that the Government are going to trot out that load of
crap when the announcement comes. I don't think it's really our place to
refute it, which is a pity, because someone should. If they have any
sense, the opposition parties should really start reminding people that
virtually all independent expert opinion was unfavourable to the system.

An independent Electoral Commission is a good idea, but as we've seen
these things really hinge on the brief they are given. At a minimum we'd
have to have a body which was much more open and transparent than the
CEV I think.

At a guess, I'd say that the report is complete, and that there are
maneouverings from the CEV (who essentially make up the Boundary
Commission too) to become an Electoral Commission, or that at least they
are very favourable to the suggestion. This is probably why there has
been so little movement from the Franchise section in this last year,
even on the problems of the electoral register, although we should never
rule out this simply being the natural product of the division.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net