[E-voting] Report on the 1% Manual Recount for Special Election Nov. 2005 Los Angeles County

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Tue Aug 1 12:40:12 IST 2006

Michael,

A few comments.

Yes this particular report is speaking of optical scanners.  With DREs
there is /no way/ to know how accurate/inaccurate the counts are
(especially considering the number of documented backdoors in the US
models--the current runnning count is over 120.)

Regarding audits and procedures, you're right--and this would have to be
put in place \i(before) any form of electronic vote-counting (which now
I would completely oppose).   Ongoing important work in statistics shows
that it's inappropriate to use an audit of a fixed percentage to
determine fraud, because it's the sample size that's relevant, not the
percentage.  In a majority-based system in the USA you'd have to do
something like a 10% audit to catch fraud with any reliability.  In our
system, where fraud could be perpetrated using #2 or #3 votes, finding
fraud could be more challenging.   There is no benefit to using machines
for counting, when the counting could not/should not ever be assumed to
be correct.  (And where it's votes in question, we cannot afford to use
a system that "assumes" ANYTHING.)

In "live" elections using electronic counting--both in Ireland and the
USA--the public has been systematically lied to as to the "smoothness"
of the election, problems have been covered up, procedures that were
supposed to mean something have been ignored (security seals), etc.
When there's a discrepancy found in the audit it's just ignored, even
though it indicated the possibility of different winners.  (And in
Ireland, with no papers to audit, we'll never know.)  The people who
administer elections have a completely different perspective than that
of the general public, and we have already seen that in our Irish pilot
tests: cover-up, PR, don't let anyone know about discrepancies,
authorize results before the discrepancies are resolved, etc.  (Yet
these same election officials by and large function with great
competence when dealing with paper ballots that are counted under close
public and media scrutiny.)

Relying on procedures which have already shown to have failed does not
inspire any confidence--nor should it.  We should not be doing
*anything* with our votes that requires "trust" (and that includes
transportation of ballot boxes by gardai unaccompanied by election
observers).

Catherine