[E-voting] Fwd: [RISKS] Voting machines in Ireland and The Netherlands

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Wed Aug 9 09:50:28 IST 2006

Patrick OBeirne wrote:

>   <http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/24.36.html>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:20:30 +0200
> From: Erling Kristiansen <erling.kristiansen at xs4all.nl>
> Subject: Voting machines in Ireland and The Netherlands
>
> According to EDRIGRAM, the on-line newsletter of "European Digital
> Rights",
> number 4.14:
>
> On 4 July 2006, the Irish Commission on Electronic Voting released its
> second report on the secrecy and accuracy of the e-voting system
> purchased
> by the Irish Government.
>
> The summary remarks at the beginning of the 200 page report say: "The
> Commission concludes that it can recommend the voting and counting
> equipment
> of the chosen system for use at elections in Ireland, subject to further
> work it has also recommended, but that it is unable to recommend the
> election management software for such use."
>
> The "further work" includes, among others:
> 1) add a voter verified audit trail;
I don't see where they recommend this. Recommendation R2 talks about an
"the implementation of additional measures to enable independent audit
 of its critical functions" .... blah blah

and that only applies in the case where the existing "Delphi code" is
reused.
It doesn't specifically say a *voter verified* audit trail.

Michael