[E-voting] Odd S'Indo Article

A.J.Delaney at brighton.ac.uk A.J.Delaney at brighton.ac.uk
Mon Aug 21 09:59:02 IST 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 09:45 +0100, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 09:22:21AM +0100, A.J.Delaney at brighton.ac.uk wrote:
> > It does have a certain logic though.  The academic in question seems to
> > be advocating wholesale electoral reform which would require the
> > implementation of electronic counting (though not recording) for
> > practical purposes.
>
> How, exactly, does electronic counting become a requirement? If we are
> willing to double the numbers of staff it takes to run a voting system
> to use some machines, why should be not be so equally willing to for
> the purpose of a more deterministic result?

Point taken.  A restructuring of the manual counting with a possible
increase in staff may implement a more deterministic counting algorithm
without resorting to computer based counting.  As such computerised
counting does not become a requirement.  Thus the proposer of the count
reform appears to have intertwined three separate issues in his proposal
1) vote recording,
2) vote counting, and
3) the count algorithm.
The proposer stated that changing (3) implies that (1) and (2) must
change to a computerised implementation.  I stated that changing (3)
only implies changing (2) to a computerised implementation.  Colm has
correctly pointed out that a change in (3) should effect a change in the
procedures for (2) but not necessarily require a computerised
implementation.

--
Aidan Delaney
Lecturer,