[E-voting] Odd S'Indo Article

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Mon Aug 21 10:05:06 IST 2006

A.J.Delaney at brighton.ac.uk wrote:
> Using our current STV count method the manual count will
> rarely tally exactly with the electronic count given the randomness at
> certain intervals.
That's not strictly true. Once the order of the ballots is preserved,
then recounts, whether
electronic or manual do always tally (assuming there are no counting
mistakes). The random
mixing of the votes occurs before the count takes place and the only way
that a count
could produce a different result would be if the votes were completely
remixed before a recount (which does not happen afaik)

As for the Sindo article, I'm not that surprised by it. After all, they
backed this
system at the start, and only turned against the government long after
everybody else had.
It doesn't surprise me that they are looking for angles like this.

I'm not sure exactly what they mean by:

> Without it, an element of chance remained which could have a
> detrimental effect on the stability of our democracy.

Are they saying that the current system is a threat to democracy because
there is an element
of chance involved? That would be quite ridiculous. Unverifiable
e-voting is a far greater
threat to democracy.

Michael