[E-voting] Odd S'Indo Article

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Mon Aug 21 10:40:22 IST 2006

It's important to observe how the Indo is framing this issue.  This is
language we should be using for ourselves--voting by electrons in a
black box is a threat to democracy.  We cannot afford to let others
frame the issue for us.

Democracy relies on transparent, observable vote counting.  Any slight
hypothetical advantages of a more perfect distribution of surpluses are
completely outweighted by the irretrievable damage to transparency and
public involvement in the vote-counting process should a system be
introduces which depends of electronic counting methods.

Did you see the results of the recent poll in the USA on vote counting?
92% of all voters want transparency in vote counting.  The results were
consistent for all political parties and all minority groupings.  A
landslide, in other words.

Catherine