[E-voting] Re: Voter Verified Audit Trail - Insight from US

Adrian Colley aecolley at spamcop.net
Mon Aug 21 17:30:56 IST 2006

On 8/21/06, Fergal Daly <fergal at esatclear.ie> wrote:
> On 21/08/06, Michael McMahon <michael at hexmedia.com> wrote:
>> Fergal Daly wrote:
>>> There are usually enough no-hope candidates that the signature can be
>>> embedded in your first preferences with no danger to your real prefs.
>> Yes, there is a risk of that. But it's a lot less than the other way,
>> because
>> it would be very obvious if anyone tried it.
> I usually vote that way anyway. Keeps the mainstream politicians on
> their toes :)

That's called "Woodall free riding"
(http://www.mcdougall.org.uk/VM/ISSUE18/I18P2.PDF), because it
exploits a deficiency in the way votes are counted and gives you a
small advantage; it's like getting an extra fraction of a vote free.
It would go hilariously wrong if everyone tried it.  (Everyone please
try it. :-)

 --Adrian.