[E-voting] M.I.T. strategy for internet voting, early voting, voting my mail & voting centers

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Mon Aug 28 19:28:41 IST 2006

[posted by JoAnne Karasek at
http://www.bbvforums.org/cgi-bin/forums/show.cgi?tpc=8&post=27654#POST27654]

*M.I.T. strategy for internet voting, early voting, voting my mail &
voting centers*

My review of --

"Controlling Democracy"
The Principal Agent Problems in Election Administration
by Michael R. Alvarez and Thad E. Hall
http://vote.caltech.edu/journals/PSJ-revised-6-20-06.pdf

This article from the Caltech/MIT Voting Technology Project is a
shameful discredit to MIT/Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Note--they neither put the authors or Caltech/MIT's name on it.

No joke--they are now recommending trying internet voting, which was
completely discredited a few years back! [p.28] The voting public
already knows that is a stupid idea. They also are recommending trying
voting by mail and early voting, which those who understand voting
security oppose because there are so many opportunities for error/fraud
without public supervision of even the chain of custody. Since they
don't understand voting security, why are they posing as authorities on
the subject!

Further, they recommend trying vote centers (high population precincts
inaccessible to large numbers of voters, especially those who are
minorities and not well-to-do), which involve a voting security problem
due to the enormous number of people and confusion involved, as well as
the voting inaccessibility problem.

Internet voting is proposed by them, even though they acknowledge there
is a potential for fraud, which they ignore by writing, "the odds of
these security threats occurring are unknown and it is unclear whether
these threats are more significant than those facing voting methods
currently used." [p25] Since they don't know the odds of the security
threats occurring (it probably is 100%) and they don't know whether
these threats are more significant, why the _ _ _ _ are they
recommending it!

So why the _ _ _ _ are they recommending it! They are considering the
problems of election administrators! Never mind the voters--they think
it is the election administrators that are to be served! The voters are
just the suckers who pay for all this loss of their vote. Caltech/MIT
just doesn't want to get it that the election administrators are to
serve the voters. It appears what Caltech/MIT WANTS IS TO MAKE MONEY ON
THE ELECTRONIC VOTING MACHINES.

They should solve the election administrators' problems by getting them
poll workers (by giving them reasonable shifts of 1 of 3 shifts in the
voting day, paying poll workers enough to attract them, having an
election holiday so that public workers and others are available to help
at the polls, making high school students 16 years and up eligible to be
poll workers.) They should throw out the overwhelmingly expensive
electronic voting machines (that are machines so they break down, they
have software so they are misprogrammed, and software has glitches--we
don't even have to discuss fraud to know that the electronic voting
machines should go.)

They aptly name this article "Controlling Democracy". Had they started
it with a name such as Promoting Democracy or Improving Democracy, they
might have had a chance of getting it right.

(I reported this all to M.I.T.--it makes them look terrible!)

Jo Anne

Questions--

Why is M.I.T. off the wall on voting issues?

Is M.I.T. cooperating with Republican operatives to push internet
voting, early voting, voting by mail and voting centers?