[E-voting] M.I.T. strategy for internet voting, early voting, voting my mail & voting centers

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Tue Aug 29 08:58:36 IST 2006

Tim,

There is a massive amount of money being made by academic institutions
riding the E-voting train.  Think of the ACCURATE group which is getting
massive funding, another researcher recently quoted has a $1.8 million
grant, and academic departments that are getting funding to study e-voting.

This doesn't mean it's bad for academics to study, but one also has to
be aware that funding recipients are also vested interests, and in some
cases t can make it more likely for some solutions to be studied than
others.  (Might it be difficult to advocate a switch to paper, for
example, if that would mean your department would lose funding to
develop or test electronic voting solutions?)

It's the old problem of hammers being in search of nails.  Many see the
electronic voting issue as a technical problem that requires a technical
solution

Catherine