[E-voting] NIST recommend decertifying paperless voting machines

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Thu Dec 7 17:49:02 GMT 2006

At the meeting they voted to ignore the NIST recommendations because
election offices had already bought their existing machines.  (Someone
suggested this was like recommending you keep driving a car with a gas
tank that exploded for one tenth of customers, just because you'd
already "invested" in it.)  They suggested that these ideas be looked at
for the future (i.e. that would mean several years into the future--and
even then they are still only "recommendations" and not requirements).

:-(

Catherine