[E-voting] David Dill Unplugged

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Fri Dec 15 14:35:05 GMT 2006

Exactly.  It's a mixed message.

There is a strange situation in the USA where there is a large group of
people (including activists, educations, and computer scientists) who
are promoting the idea that "computers are part of it so get over it"
and promoting band-aid improvements (paper trail with no meaningful audit).

HB550 is supposedly being rewritten to say voting machines must have a
"paper trail" but that means nothing if
--The paper trail is not the ballot of record
--The paper trail is useless for auditing or recount (due to overwrites
due to paper jams, paper put in backwards, window closed over the paper
trail viewing area, plus toilet-paper style roll is virtually impossible
to use for a 1% audit let alone a full recount)
--There is nothing to ensure the paper records are ever looked at (some
states now have legislation that forbids a recount using paper if a
machine was used for the original count)
--There is no meaningful audit required (and to be statistically
meaningful is very different in each of the elections, so in some cases
a very large percentage would be required, such as 27% or more,
depending on the circumstances--and even so it's not clear that would be
suitable for detecting fraud which could use non-random distribution or
impact the methodology of choosing precincts to audit)
--The way absentee ballots are handled is completely different and often
has no accountability at all (yet in some places absentee/mail-in
ballots are the majority or all of the votes)
--When there's a discrepancy, then what?

I don't think there's any likelihood of HB550 being rewritten enough to
address the problems.  Kucinich has a much better proposal, HB62002 I think.

Catherine