[E-voting] [Fwd: [Edri-voting] Re: Italy & e-Poll]

Margaret McGaley mmcgaley at cs.nuim.ie
Wed Feb 1 15:25:54 GMT 2006

Wow. Just .... wow.

Margaret

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[Edri-voting] Re: Italy & e-Poll
Date: 	Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:00:33 +0100
From: 	vote at electronic-vote.org
To: 	edri-voting at mailman.edri.org

Hi,
(Yes, I joined the list which is very interesting to me)

Despite of the fact that the italian paper electoral procedures never had
any problem and their results have never been questioned, the Italian
Government decided to add a nation-wide electronic procedure to collect
electoral results coming from each polling station. Votes are still
hand-written on ballot papers and "manually" counted by scrutineers.

An added computer technician will input each scrutinized vote to a program
running on a PC located in the voting room. The PC will be offline and at
the closing of the voting, the resulting data will be copied to a USB memory
key. The technicial will bring the USB memory to a main "building" PC from
where data will be sent to the Ministry of Interiors.
Being an experiment (not the first) the official results will still be those
coming from the old procedures.

About the procedure being used no more as an experiment but as the only way
to collect electoral data, I have the following points:

1) parties should continue to compute their own general results, recording
results of each polling stations. Infact there will be no more physical
offical records of votes at any level (city, province, state) to verify
with. Ballot papers will still be there but counting them all again will be
almost impossible. For that reason it is extremely important that parties
verify that results reported by the Ministry for each polling station are
really those manually counted. Once verified such basic data a simple
computer application could be used to verify the general result given by the
Government.

2) The introduction of computers into polling rooms should not be used as a
way to accustom people to computers in voting so that public opinion will
later accept e-vote (and loose any chance of democratic monitoring of
electoral results).

3) Costs are very high. Italian Government plans to spend euro 34,000,000 to
have in April 20% of votes processed also by the new procedure. We should
not expect that for next term election we'll be able to use the same HW & SW
(in five years time not even our selves for our hobby will use the same
computer we use today at home!) So costs are a very big problem!
We all know that computing companies (hw & sw) push very strongly towards
e-voting (can you guess why?), but as a citizen I care about the way my
money are spent.

Ciao,
Emanuele