[E-voting] RE: Epic leak of commission report

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Mon Jul 3 14:49:58 IST 2006

I agree with both Colm & Fergal.

Stick to the facts of what ICTE pointed out and when (and how far back
it goes--prior to ICTE--in some cases).

I also agree about /not/ framing this as a political issue.  Rather,
it's about how public input was ignored--including input from relevant
professionals--and now all Irish taxpayers suffer as a result.  It's a
cautionary tale about public consultation and this could be applied to
many areas of governance.  Why did top civil servants ignore input from
relevant IT professionals and stakeholders (voters)?  Or were there
other influences on these civil servants of which we need to become
aware?  (Is this an issue of possible corruption or paybacks?
Arrogance?  Stubbornness?  Stupidity?  Pressure coming from somewhere
else to make a certain decision or put one's job at risk?)

We could reinforce the concept of the need for public + all-party
collaboration on issues relating to elections/democracy.

I don't think we should target any particular individual or party
because that's not the point.  It's the principle that needs to get
across--that it is only common sense to consider public input when
developing policy, particularly when that policy has to do with the
process of voting on which our Irish democratic republic depends.

We could also talk about the need for committee members to pay attention
to the evidence and opinions that are presented to them.  Having input
is of no benefit if it is ignored.  What mechanisms might prevent a
reoccurrance?

Catherine