[E-voting] First draft press release

Margaret McGaley mmcgaley at cs.nuim.ie
Wed Jul 5 15:08:16 IST 2006

[NOT FOR RELEASE]

Irish Citizens for Trustworthy Evoting (ICTE) today welcomed the release
of the Commission on Electronic Voting's second report on the secrecy
and accuracy of the Nedap/Powervote e-voting system. "We are satisfied
that this report vindicates our concerns about this e-voting system,
particularly the need for a voter verified paper audit trail (p153,4)
and the need to entirely replace the vote-management section of the
system (p14)" said Margaret McGaley, spokesperson for ICTE.

introduction of this system, Ms McGaley highlighted highlighted the
expense the necessary modifications would entail. "We should not decide
to use this system without doing a full cost-benefit analysis. The
changes laid out by the commission are extensive. They will require a
significant investment of both time and money to implement, and we need
to ask if this system is worth it. The €60 million that has been spent
to date is gone and the futher investment of several years, and millions
of euro, will not bring it back."