[E-voting] First draft press release

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Wed Jul 5 15:37:52 IST 2006

On Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:08 AM [EDT],
Margaret McGaley <mmcgaley at cs.nuim.ie> wrote:

> [NOT FOR RELEASE]
>
> Irish Citizens for Trustworthy Evoting (ICTE) today welcomed the
> release of the Commission on Electronic Voting's second report on the
> secrecy and accuracy of the Nedap/Powervote e-voting system. "We are
> satisfied that this report vindicates our concerns about this
> e-voting system, particularly the need for a voter verified paper
> audit trail (p153,4) and the need to entirely replace the
> vote-management section of the system (p14)" said Margaret McGaley,
> spokesperson for ICTE.
> introduction of this system, Ms McGaley highlighted highlighted the
> expense the necessary modifications would entail. "We should not
> decide to use this system without doing a full cost-benefit analysis.
> The changes laid out by the commission are extensive. They will
> require a significant investment of both time and money to implement,
> and we need to ask if this system is worth it. The €60 million that
> has been spent to date is gone and the futher investment of several
> years, and millions of euro, will not bring it back."

I know we don't want to get political on this, but I'm concerned that the
further consideration is to be made by a cabinet sub-committee, rather than
an all-party committee.

I think it would be worth stressing the importance of public trust in the
voting system, and how inappropriate it is that people with a vested
interest in saving face are still making such fundamental decisions, in
large part because of the narrow terms of reference given to the CEV.

Aengus