[E-voting] Second draft press release

Margaret McGaley mmcgaley at cs.nuim.ie
Wed Jul 5 16:26:29 IST 2006

[NOT FOR RELEASE]

Irish Citizens for Trustworthy Evoting (ICTE) today welcomed the release
of the
Commission on Electronic Voting's second report on the secrecy and
accuracy of
the Nedap/Powervote e-voting system. "We are satisfied that the report
vindicates our concerns about this e-voting system, particularly the
need for a
voter verified paper audit trail (p153,4) and the need to entirely
replace the
vote-management section of the system (p14)" said Margaret McGaley,
spokesperson for ICTE.

introduction
of this system, Ms McGaley highlighted the expense that the necessary
modifications
would entail. "We should not decide to use this system without doing a full
cost-benefit analysis both for the system as a whole, and from this
point on.
The changes laid out by the commission are extensive. They will require a
significant investment of both time and money to implement, and we need
to ask
if this system is worth it. The €60 million that has been spent to date
is gone
and the futher investment of several years, and millions of euro, will not
bring it back."

"We are particularly happy to see, on page 153 and 154, that the commission
have explicitly stated that the paper system is superior to the chosen
system
because the latter does not provide a voter verified paper audit trail."
said
Ms McGaley. ICTE maintains that no electronic voting system can be
trustworthy
unless it includes a paper-based voter verified audit trail (VVAT), a view
shared by the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and the Irish
Computer
Society (ICS). According to Fergal Daly of ICTE: "After [frequent/many] bad
experiences without it, many states in the US have now enacted laws
mandating VVAT. We should learn from their mistakes rather than repeating
them."