[E-voting] EDRI-gram article, first draft

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Thu Jul 6 17:00:30 IST 2006

Excellent summary.  Consider adding any of the following points:

It has already been acknowledged (perhaps the report mentions this?)
that there is no question of the proposed system being used in the next
Irish elections, May 2007 at the latest.  It would be impossible to
develop, implement and test a revised system in time.

The political realities in Ireland may mean it is likely/possible that
an incoming government will choose to scrap or sell the system rather
than sending good money after bad.  The system hardware uses some
components that were considered outdated in 2002.  The machines would be
so old by the time they would be modified and tested that it is
difficult to imagine anyone seriously proposing their use.

The report's many positive-sounding sound-bytes ("could be suitable for
use in an Irish election if . . .") provide current government officials
with quotable face-saving comments.  But the reality is that making the
system usable would require a significant expenditure of time, effort
and taxpayer money on an electronic system which has little if any
visible popular support.  It will be politically difficult to justify
the ongoing expense just of the secure storage, let alone the expense of
the many significant modifications called for in the Report.

Catherine