[E-voting] proposed press release -- ICTE PREDICT E-VOTING SYSTEM WILL NEVER BE USED

Casey, Dermot (GE Cons Fin) Dermot.Casey at ge.com
Fri Jul 7 16:50:04 IST 2006

Margaret

Made a few suggested changes to the language. I think figures are useful
and might catch the Sunday news cycle

* suggest
>>[is bound to show]  change to [will show]

*suggest
>>But these machines are more analagous to the voting booth than to
ballot boxes.
Chhange to
But these machines are both voting booths and ballot boxes.

*suggest
That is not what you would expect, though. There are normally bursts of
activity in the morning, at lunchtime, and after work. Those are the
times when people would be disenfranchised because they can't wait."
[Change to]
In reality people vote in bursts; early in the morning, at lunchtime,
and after work. Those are the times when people would be
disenfranchised."

I've put these in the draft below. Also should we say that the cost of
the e-voting system will climb towards EUR100 million. EUR60 million
down the drain already - figures quoted the Dail - + minimum of EUR35
million more and probably at least EUR50 more.

Dermot

[NOT FOR RELEASE]

Irish Citizens for Trustworthy Evoting today predicted that the chosen
e-voting system will never be used in Irish elections. Margaret McGaley
of ICTE offered two main reasons for the prediction: "First, the
cost/benefit analysis that must precede any plans to introduce the
system will to show that further investment cannot be justified. Second,
the CEV did not declare these machines ready for use, they declared them
ready for testing - after extensive modifications have been made.
Amongst the computer experts who are members of ICTE their is broad
consensus that they would eventually fail those tests."

ICTE have estimated that the Department of the Environment would have to
buy 7,000 more machines, after the necessary  modifications have been
finalised and tested, to prevent long queues at polling stations. "The
department effectively bought one machine per ballot box in the old
system. But these machines are more similar to voting booths than to
ballot boxes. People will need time to deliberate in front of the
machines." said Ms McGaley.

Dermot Casey elaborated: "Even if you assume that voting patterns will
be evenly distributed over the day, the best you can hope for is 3 and
1/2 minutes per voter*. In reality people vote in bursts; early in the
morning, at lunchtime, and after work. Those are the times when people
would be disenfranchised."

There are 14,000 voting booths in the paper system, and the state
currently own 7,000 voting machines. Without any of the necessary
modifications listed by the commission, the cost of using this system
for Irish elections would start at 35,000,000.