[E-voting] Cost of machines

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Fri Jul 7 17:01:34 IST 2006

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. said in a recent radio interview that a Diebold
voting machine costs $2800 to purchase and about $98 to manufacture.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=203&topic_id=438782&mesg_id=438784

Joe M. was being ultra-conservative in his estimate of manufacturing
costs by deliberately guessing on the high side so no one could claim we
were overestimating the manufacturing costs. But I think his estimated
manufacturing costs are too high by almost an order of magnitude and I
think they should be reduced. (E.g., if Kennedy's comments are correct,
and if we assume that the Irish systems are far lower volume, the
existing machines probably cost less than €300 to manufacture, or €500
to be really conservative.) The markup on electronic goods is quite large.

Catherine