[E-voting] press release draft: WHERE'S THE COST/BENEFIT ANALYSIS?

Casey, Dermot (GE Cons Fin) Dermot.Casey at ge.com
Thu Jul 13 13:27:11 IST 2006

Margaret

Suggest adding a line

[1] "There has been no justification of this system either on the basis
of cost savings or on the basis of improving democracy"

Feel free to add me as a contact at any point.

WHERE'S THE COST/BENEFIT ANALYSIS?

Irish Citizens for Trustworthy Evoting (ICTE) is calling on Minister
Roche to justify his intention to spend more money on the chosen
electronic voting system. "It has been reported today that the minister
will be seeking the advice of international experts on changes to the
count software. But what about the other changes called for by the
commission?" said Margaret McGaley of ICTE.

"Investments of millions of euros must be justified by the benefits they
will bring. [1] We predict that just buying enough machines to make this
system viable will cost 35 million euro. By the time you add the cost of
the changes called for by the CEV's report, the future cost of this
system will be at least 50 million on top of the almost 60 million
already spent. And that doesn't even include the personnel costs of
running the system; these machines requires more people than the paper
system does. Can the minister prove that this system is worth all that
expense?"

[ENDS]

Dermot