[E-voting] eVoting Survey - TCD

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Fri Jul 14 15:09:17 IST 2006

Thank you for posting that link.

This is an important document--and it shows where we have our work cut
out for us.  It seems that in the eyes of the respondants, we've been
effective in changing the public opinion in relation to e-voting, but we
haven't been very effective in relation to changing their own opinion.
(Yet they believe the public's understanding is "poor".)

There seems to be a major information gap regarding e-voting's actual
"accuracy" and reliability.  Also, there seems to be an information gap
regarding security.  There is little awareness of issues concerning
audits (based on number of mentions in relevant questions).  Ditto
regarding testing.  They know the term paper trail and strongly think
there should be one, but these results indicate naivete about procedures
and implementation.

There are numerous other points raised by this--e.g., responses as to
who should be able to have access to the code.

This survey reveals that most respondants are less informed than they
believe themselves to be.

Catherine