[E-voting] eVoting fiasco - is this the beginning of the end?

Joe McCarthy joe.mccarthy at arkaon.com
Sun Mar 5 22:45:48 GMT 2006

eh - did I hear this right?

Today the Minister for the Environment Dick Roche TD hinted that the
evoting fiasco might be reaching its final stage.
His reply to a question on RTE radio was: "I have already actually
discussed the idea of a central location for storage but maybe events
might catch up on that."

What event other than scrapping the lot could he have been referring to?

The programme can be heard on the RTE This Week programme at
http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/228-2121025.smil

The full transcript is as follows:

Gerald Barry:
One further question which I am sure a lot of people would like me to
put to you.
Are the electoral machines [Minister laughs] – the computers - going to
be moved out of storage now and put on the funeral pyre?

Minister Dick Roche TD:
Well, now, ah, two things there.
First of all this, ah, the Commission on Electronic Voting will shortly
be bringing in its report.
I think fundamental decisions are going to have to be made when that
comes and I don’t know what’s in that report but as soon as I see it I will.
I have already actually discussed the idea of a central location for
storage but maybe events might catch up on that.

[Interview ends.]
--
Joe McCarthy

PS.
Today's Ireland on Sunday has an article suggesting that the CEV
consultants will recommend that up to EUR 10m be spent to make it
"completely secure, tamper free and above reproach".
J.