[E-voting] Electoral rules

Margaret McGaley mmcgaley at cs.nuim.ie
Fri Mar 10 15:43:12 GMT 2006

Hello all,

I've been comparing the electoral rules from 1923 with the version in
the 1992 act (with amendments from 2001). It seems to me that the new
rules make significant changes to the order in which surpluses should be
distributed (details below). Was this intentional? Was there a lot
of/any debate at the time? (The most important changes were brought in
by the 1992 act (*1))

My understanding of the 1923 rules (*2) (specifically with regard to the
order of distribution of surpluses) is:

Surpluses should be transferred in the order they arose  (section 6.5).
Where multiple surpluses arise from the same count, the largest should
be transferred first (section 6.6). If there there are multiple
surpluses from the same earliest round of the same largest size (section
6.7), you compare candidates' vote counts starting at the first round
and continuing till the current round until you a) find a round where
one candidate had a larger vote count and transfer his surplus or b) you
draw lots.

As far as I can make out, the 1992 act changes this ordering to
prioritise size over the count at which the surplus arose (sections
121.9, .10, .11), and the 1997 amendment strengthens that new
interpretation (*3).

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Margaret

*1   http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA23Y1992.html 118 - 128