[E-voting] Electoral rules

Joe McCarthy joe.mccarthy at arkaon.com
Fri Mar 10 18:37:26 GMT 2006

Hello Margaret,

 From my reading of the 1923 Act I believe that when two or more
surpluses are transferred the larger one is transferred first regardless
of the count in which it arose.  This rule is similar in the 1992 Act.

1923 Rule 6(5)(c):  the greatest of such surpluses shall be first
transferred without regard to the count at which it arose

1992 S 121(9):   the greater or greatest of such surpluses shall first
be transferred

Generally, if a surplus is too small (according to some tricky but
explicit rules) it is not transferred when it arises and if two or more
are to be transferred the larger one is dealt with first regardless of
when it arose.  If equal surpluses arise the earlier one is transferred
first.  If both surpluses are equal after the same count then the tie
breaking rule is used by checking to see which candidate had a larger
vote count at an earlier count (then lots are drawn to decide if still
tied).

I don't think this changed much between the 1923 Act and the 1992 Act.

Joe