[E-voting] Electoral rules

Margaret McGaley mmcgaley at cs.nuim.ie
Wed Mar 15 14:21:01 GMT 2006

I left out reference to the tricky cases with particularly small
surpluses for simplicity's sake. What I'm interested in here is the more
general case. I believe that in the 1923 rules the default ordering was
Count arising --> Size --> Complicated stuff
and that in the 1992 rules the default ordering is
Size --> Count arising --> Complicated stuff.

1923 --
6(5)
"A surplus which arises at the end of any count shall be transferred
before a surplus which may arise at a subsequent count: Provided that—
[tricky cases for small surpluses which includes section (c) that you
quoted]"

6(6)
"When two or more surpluses arise from the same count the largest shall
be first dealt with and the others shall be dealt with in the order of
their magnitude."

1992 --
121(9)
"Where at any time there are two or more surpluses which are to be
transferred, the greater or greatest of such surpluses shall first be
transferred and the remaining surplus or surpluses shall then, subject
to /subsection (8)/, be transferred in the order of their descending
magnitude. "

121(11) (note that it specifically subjects itself to 121(9))
"Subject to /subsections (8)/ and /(9)/, where two or more candidates
have a surplus arising from different counts, a surplus which arises at
the end of any count shall be transferred before a surplus which arises
at a subsequent count."

Margaret