[E-voting] experience with VVAT

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Sat Mar 25 13:02:19 GMT 2006

Ciaran,

Agreed re: WA state.  In the US, not only states but /counties/ vary
widely in their protocols and apparent integrity.  Whatcom County, where
Marian resides, is one of the best counties as far as their election
procedures go.

I also agree about the riskiness of postal voting.  Chain of custody of
the ballot and accounting for every ballot printed are extremely
important.

Some parts of WA state have an abysmal track record.  Two counties in
particular--King and Snohomish--were like a comedy show.  Every week or
two someone would "find" more uncounted absentee or provisional
ballots.  The printer had printed an extra 25% of the ballots required,
but never kept track of what happened to any of them.  There was no
record-keeping of what batch of serial numbers were mailed out or
received.  Some counties used DREs with no paper trail.  The results of
the DREs were different from the results of the paper-based votes--which
doesn't necessarily indicate anything in particular since there's no way
of checking either one.  When there was a paper trail, there was often
no chain of custody, or poll tapes were unsigned.  In one case, a
crucial audit log had 3 hours missing (over a period of about 2 or 3
months)--which happened to be for the 3 consecutive hours beginning
shortly after the polls closed, when the voters were being counted.  .
.  .   Was it investigated?  No.  This anomaly was just ignored.  There
were also poll tape irregularities that matched the poll tape
irregularities found in some Florida counties that used the same kind of
equipment.  These poll tape irregularities were consistent with sloppy
execution of the Hursti-demonstrated hacks done in Florida last July.

Catherine