[E-voting] experience with VVAT

Pierre Muller pmmaillists at free.fr
Sat Mar 25 13:12:02 GMT 2006

Marian Beddill a écrit :
> Along the way, we performed a
> "double-check" hand count of randomly-selected batches of ballots, in
> the presence of observers who watched the batches be counted by teams of
> staffers, then counted by the machines.
Isn't it the wrong order ? You must hand count AFTER you got the
electronic result. Or else, someone could discreetly switch the machine
to a different mode.
How is it controlled that all batches add up correctly ?

The French Parliament (unanimous) prohibited postal voting in 1975. 3%
of municipalities used to defraud (this is an official figure, declared
to the parliament). Now, we are reintroducing it for citizens living
abroad : the goal is to test internet voting.

In Europe, postal voting paves the way for internet voting, like in
Switzerland or Germany (they cancelled their projects years ago).

--
Pierre Muller, webmaster of http://www.recul-democratique.org
French citizens critical of e-voting.