[E-voting] experience with VVAT

Marian Beddill beddill at nas.com
Sat Mar 25 16:11:52 GMT 2006

At 3/25/2006  05:12 AM, Pierre Muller wrote:
>The French Parliament (unanimous) prohibited postal voting in 1975. 3%
>of municipalities used to defraud (this is an official figure, declared
>to the parliament). Now, we are reintroducing it for citizens living
>abroad : the goal is to test internet voting.
>
>In Europe, postal voting paves the way for internet voting, like in
>Switzerland or Germany (they cancelled their projects years ago).

We also worry -big-time- about internet voting.  The US government (military) started, then scrapped, a plan to introduce internet voting for citizens overseas (called "SERVE").  My friend Barbara Simons, past president of the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) was part of a group who convinced the military to abandon the program.

(Please clarify what projects were cancelled - postal or internet?)

Marian Beddill