[E-voting] experience with VVAT

Marian Beddill beddill at nas.com
Sun Mar 26 18:39:09 IST 2006

I believe that the scanners are working correctly - the principal evidence being the (although small) double-checks that have been done - hand count and machine count, in full view of the party Observers, with correct totals.  (I might add, Observers are allowed every time this election work is ongoing - for all the manual preparatory steps and for the machine runs.)

None of the times we were present have ballots been missed/skipped in the scan process. The machines are robust, mechanically "old-technology" (see the photo at the mfg site:
http://www.sequoiavote.com/productguide.php?product=OPTECH%20400C&type=Introduction )
It has a counter - the staff keeps a log, which starts with the exact number of ballots brought to the machine, then the number reported by it, for each batch.  There are anomalies - most commonly "overvotes" (marked for TWO candidates in a race for one position) and Write-ins (votes for a person not fully registered as a candidate).  The scanner detects these and diverts them into separate "OUT" trays - and the ordinary ones into the main tray - and reports the counts, which the staffer writes on the log-sheet.

Marian Beddill
ps: I have no relationship with any vendor, and have never had.  My interest is elections integrity, because: "If you cannot trust the way your votes are counted, nothing much else in politics matters!" http://noleakybuckets.org/ .