[E-voting] Location of Machines

Keith Martin keith at keith.gs
Fri Mar 31 10:06:35 IST 2006

Hi all,

I've just received the answer to the question I had put down on the
voting machines (see below - sorry about the crappy layout of the
table, but hopefully it's readable in some way).  Apologies for the
delay, but I was in  Brussels yesterday when the answer came in.

As you can see, the Minister has refused to give any of the information
on the basis that "In the interests of the security and integrity of
the electoral process, it is not appropriate to make available the
further detailed information referred to in the Question."

As we have said many times, security through obscurity just doesn't work.

The Minister is refusing to answer the following points:
-the serial numbers of the machines
-the past movements of the machines
-details of any machines damaged, repaired or destroyed at any time
-any difference between the number purchased in total and the number
currently in ownership
-details of his plans to recycle the machines (possibly these plans
don't exist, but note that he doesn't *deny* that they exist, which
would be par for the course if they didn't)

Might I humbly suggest a press release from ICTE along the lines of
"Minister?s Refusal to Answer Basic Questions Makes Mockery of
Electoral Transparency"?  Mentioning things like the fact that he won't
tell us if any of the machines ever needed a battery changed or a part
replaced for "security" reasons, etc, would be good stuff.

Regards

KEITH

Question No.	262 of 30th March 2006

Chun an Aire Comhshaoil, Oidhreachta agus Rialtais Áitiúil:
To the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government:

To ask the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government
the serial number of each of the electronic voting machines owned by
the State; the location of each of these machines; the past movements
of each machine; if this information will be made available to Deputies
in electronic format as well as on Dáil Éireann record; the details of
these machines which have been damaged, repaired or destroyed; the
number of machines purchased by the State; the number currently in the
possession of the State; his plans to scrap or recycle these machines;
and if he will make a statement on the matter.
- Ruairi Quinn TD, Labour Party, Dublin South East.

For WRITTEN answer on Thursday, 30th March, 2006.

Ref No:   12612/06

REPLY

Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government (Mr. Roche):

A programme of further assessment, testing and validation of the
electronic voting and counting system is underway to address issues
raised by the Commission on Electronic Voting and demonstrate that the
system operates reliably, securely and accurately. The timing of the
further use of the system is dependent on the progress made with this
work and the ongoing work of the Commission on Electronic Voting, the
associated decisions arising in this regard, and the dates at which
future polls may be held.

A total of 7504 voting machines have been purchased and information in
relation to the location of the machines is set out in the following
table. In the interests of the security and integrity of the electoral
process, it is not appropriate to make available the further detailed
information referred to in the Question.

Constituency
	No. of Voting Machines
		Location of Storage Premises
Carlow	115