[E-voting] huge security vulnerabilities exposed

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Wed May 17 11:20:06 IST 2006

There is a very good article here:
http://www.theregister.com/2006/05/14/diebold_e-voting_flaw/

One interesting aspect is that the whistle-blower election official in
the state of Utah who found
the problem was fired due to his "unauthorized" actions.

Cases like this show how election authorities are effectively "captured"
by their system suppliers.
In this case, they were more worried about the $40,000 cost of
recertifying the equipment
than whether it should or could be trusted.

Michael.