[E-voting] a couple more links

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Wed May 17 19:36:39 IST 2006

The Hursti II is making quite an impression (also got prominent coverage
in NY Times, Washington Post and online references)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/politics/bal-md.voting12may12%2C0%2C2148061.story

  Experts see new Diebold flaw

The machines, made by Diebold Elections Systems, are *"much, much easier
to attack than anything we've previously said,"* said Avi Rubin, a Johns
Hopkins University
<http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/visitor/college/bal-hl-hopkins,0,3324446.story>
computer science professor who first cast doubt on the reliability of
the technology in a 2003 report.

*"On a scale of one to 10, if the problems we found before were a six,
this is a 10. It's a totally different ballgame," he said.*

And to show how even /he/ still didn't fully get it, Rubin goes on to say,
"It's a big deal. It's a very big deal," Shamos said. "The good part is
it's very easy to fix. You have to repair it. You can't just do nothing.
... It's not just like leaving the key to your door under the mat. It's
like leaving the key dangling from a string" from the door.

The temporary fix, Shamos said, involves reinstalling the proper
software just before the election, preferably in a public setting, then
locking the machines to keep them from being tampered with before voting
begins."

*NOTE: The problem is, it isn't easy to fix!  In fact, it CAN'T be
fixed!*  A compromised bootloader or motherboard problem cannot be
resolved by reloading the software.  (Rubin understands this now, I
believe.)