[E-voting] Voting glitch said to be 'dangerous'

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Wed May 17 19:43:11 IST 2006

http://www.insidebayarea.com/argus/localnews/ci_3804675

*Voting glitch said to be 'dangerous'*
By Ian Hoffman, STAFF WRITER <mailto:ihoffman at angnewspapers.com>

[Inside Bay Area]

"Armed with a little basic knowledge of Diebold voting systems and a
standard component available at any computer store, someone with a
minute or two of access to a Diebold touch screen could load virtually
any software into the machine and disable it, redistribute votes or
alter its performance in myriad ways.

"This one is worse than any of the others I've seen. It's more
fundamental," said Douglas Jones, a University of Iowa computer
scientist and veteran voting-system examiner for the state of Iowa.

"In the other ones, we've been arguing about the security of the locks
on the front door," Jones said. "Now we find that there's no back door.
This is the kind of thing where if the states don't get out in front of
the hackers, there's a real threat."

The Argus is withholding some details of the vulnerability at the
request of several elections officials and scientists, partly because
exploiting it is so simple and the tools for doing so are widely
available."