[E-voting] [a.oostveen@rathenau.nl: BREAKING NEWS]

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Wed Nov 1 23:36:53 GMT 2006

On Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:48 AM [EDT],
Aengus Lawlor <aengusl at eircom.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:16 AM [EDT],
> Michael McMahon <michael at hexmedia.com> wrote:
>
>> Aengus Lawlor wrote:

>>> The article says that permission to use machines made by Sdu NV has
>>> been withdrawn, because it has been demonstrated that you can
>>> eavesdrop on them by picking up the electronic "noise" they
>>> generate. The government on Monday banned the use of one common type of
>>>  computer voting machine, fearing that secret ballots may not
>>>  be kept secret. It ordered a review of all electronic machines
>>>  after the Nov. 22 election.
>> some more information in the following register article
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/31/dutch_votingmachines_inadequate/
>
> "Nedap says it is currently installing new microchips and software to
> prevent hackers manipulating the votes".
>
> New microchips and software, 3 weeks before the election.
>
> They've obviously been subject to stringent quality control and
> review, then.
>
> It will be interesting to find out how much Nedap are charging the
> government in the Netherlands for this work!
>
> Aengus

I didn't get chance to look for the article referred to, but ENN had this on
it's "In the papers" page today:

   The Irish Times reports that electronic voting machines bought by
   the Irish government are not in danger of being bugged, a Dutch
   inquiry that has led to a ban on another type of e-voting machine
   has found. The investigation by the Dutch intelligence service found
   that 1,200 terminals made by a company called Sdu could be hacked
   into using a simple radio receiver. As a result, voters in the
Netherlands'
   general election later this month in Amsterdam, Eindhoven and Tilburg
   will now have to cast their ballots with pencil and paper. Other
terminals,
   manufactured by Nedap, could not be interfered with in the same way.

Aengus