[E-voting] [a.oostveen@rathenau.nl: BREAKING NEWS]

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Thu Nov 2 11:33:12 GMT 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 11:17:29AM +0000, Michael McMahon wrote:
> Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> >On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 06:36:53PM -0500, Aengus Lawlor wrote:
> >
> >>  The Irish Times reports that electronic voting machines bought by
> >>  the Irish government are not in danger of being bugged;
> >>

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B05wPomCjEY
> >

> Very good demo. I haven't got the Irish Times to hand. Do they offer
> any scepticism about this "claim" that our machines are not in danger?

Nope, they just accept what the Dutch testing institute are saying. It
is a bit bizarre what they are saying, since it's so demonstrably
possible. The disparity seems to arise over differing tolerances for the
signal levels. But as the demo shows, it works through walls and up to
25 metres away.

> Like has anyone tested this? Afaik, neither the CEV, nor the govt.s test
> did.

TNO did some testing of the machines succeptability to Electro-magnetic
interference. testing carried out by TCD on behalf of the CEV also
exposed to machine to an EMF of 7 Tesla. But afaik, noone did anything
like what we're looking at now.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net